Welcome to the monthly blog series where we bring you up to speed on recent happenings in the FiftyOne community and celebrate noteworthy milestones. 🙌 🚀
We love hearing how FiftyOne helps you solve challenges and reach new heights! Curious what sorts of use cases are possible with FiftyOne? Check out this story from a member of the FiftyOne community.
METU (Middle East Technical University) – Research & Medical Imaging
METU collaborates with the Department of Gastroenterology at Marmara University, Turkey to conduct medical research on inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). One of the main challenges in IBD diagnosis is the high interobserver and intraobserver variability among the assessments of the doctors. With the aid of deep learning, real-time and objective feedback can be provided to doctors during colonoscopy operations.
METU uses FiftyOne at various stages of research. First, they make use of FiftyOne’s CVAT integration to request and load annotations from doctors. Next, they compare doctors’ annotations and their models’ predictions. Then, using FiftyOne Brain’s embedding space visualization tools (t-SNE specifically), they get a better understanding of their data distribution. In a branch of this research, they produce synthetic images with GANs and again, refer to FiftyOne Brain tools for help identifying the most informative/unique images by eliminating “near duplicates”. In the coming months, doctors will start sending videos and METU will start to make use of FiftyOne’s video analysis capabilities.
See More Stories
See more stories from people and organizations building remarkable machine learning and AI using FiftyOne and FiftyOne Teams.
Is your organization using FiftyOne to solve interesting computer vision problems? Share your success story and claim a box of community rewards as a thank you!
FiftyOne 0.21 Is Here!
Today, we announced FiftyOne 0.21. This release is packed with upgrades to FiftyOne’s plugin framework and a variety of App features that unlock new ways to explore your datasets and customize your App experience to suit your needs. You can dive into the details of what’s included in the 0.21 release notes. Also, stop by our webinar on June 15 at 10 AM Pacific Time. We’ll give you a taste of what you can build using plugins and operators followed by an open Q&A where you can get answers to any questions you might have. Register here.
FiftyOne Teams 1.3 Is Also Generally Available!
FiftyOne Teams 1.3 is also generally available! Check out its release notes to explore the new collaboration-minded features we rolled out to commercial users (remember, Teams is fully compatible with existing FiftyOne workflows).
A quick shoutout to the following community members who made contributions to the FiftyOne project with the v0.21.0 release.
- Jonathan Badger contributed #2706 – Labelstudio instances support
- Akshit Priyesh contributed #2776 – Adding support for evaluating keypoints
- Rustem Galiullin contributed #2777 – add optional dice score computation for evaluate_segmentations
- Felix Nobis contributed #3117 – multiclass classification support for scale.com labeling
- Colin Wong contributed #3127 – Only match .txt files when reading YOLO labels
FiftyOne on GitHub
GitHub is home to the open source FiftyOne project. Here’s the latest snapshot of what’s happening in the FiftyOne GitHub repo:
- Total stars: 3,000+
- Total contributors: 63
- Total used by: 306 repositories
- Total forks: 352
FiftyOne Community Slack
The FiftyOne Community Slack channel is where you can join more than 1550 machine learning engineers and data scientists using FiftyOne to improve the quality of their computer vision data and build better models. Last month alone we had 55 first time community members. Ask questions, answer questions, or simply follow along with the discussion!
To make it easy to catch the highlights, every Friday we recap interesting questions and answers from Slack in Tips & Tricks blog series. Recent posts include:
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks – May 26, 2023
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks – May 19, 2023
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Embeddings Tips and Tricks – May 12, 2023
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks – April 21, 2023
Computer Vision Meetups
The Computer Vision Meetups are geared towards data scientists, machine learning engineers, and open source enthusiasts who want to expand their knowledge of computer vision and complementary technologies. We put an emphasis on open source software, and speakers who are computer vision practitioners or academics doing research in the field. This month’s Meetups include:
June ’23 Computer Vision Meetup (Americas and EMEA)
- June 8 – 10AM PDT (1:00PM EDT)
- Redefining State-of-the-Art with YOLOv5 and YOLOv8 – Glenn Jocher (Ultralytics)
- Plug-and-Play Diffusion Features for Text-Driven Image-to-Image Translation: Narek Tumanyan & Michal Geyer (Weizmann Institute of Science)
- Re-annotating MS COCO, An Exploration of Pixel Tolerance – Jerome Pasquero & Eric Zimmermann (Sama)
- Register for the Zoom
Recapping the May 24 Meetup
If you missed the last Meetup on May 25, make sure to check out the recap blog and watch the playbacks!
- Applying Computer Vision to Real Estate at Opendoor – Shashwat Srivastava (Opendoor)
- YOLO-NAS – SOTA Object Detection Generated by NAS – Eugene Khvedchenia (Deci.ai)
- Wildlife Watcher: A Smart Wildlife Camera – Victor Anton (Wildlife.ai)
Upcoming Computer Vision Events
In addition to meetups, we invite you to join us for one or more of these upcoming events:
- June 15 – [Recap] How to Build Custom FiftyOne Plugins and Operators
- June 18-23 – CVPR 2023 in Vancouver, Canada – Booth 1618
- June 28 – [Recap] Getting Started with FiftyOne Workshop (Americas)
- July 13 – Virtual Computer Vision Meetup, Focused on Vector Search
New Docs, Blogs, Videos, and Tutorials
We want everyone to be successful with FiftyOne, and one of the ways we try to do that is by publishing resources that you might find helpful and handy. Here’s a list of some of the new documentation, blogs, videos, tutorials, integrations, and cheat sheets that you may want to check out.
- FiftyOne Dataset Zoo: Exploring Google Research’s Kaggle Image Matching Challenge 2023 Dataset
- FiftyOne Dataset Zoo: Visualizing Defects in Amazon’s ARMBench Using Embeddings and OpenAI’s CLIP
- What’s New in FiftyOne 0.20 for Your Computer Vision Workflows
Voxel51’s Commitment to Open Source and Community
Open source, transparency, and giving back to the computer vision community is what we are all about! Whether it’s developing the open source FiftyOne computer vision toolset to help engineers and data scientists build high-quality datasets and models, sponsoring Meetups to help members boost their computer vision knowledge, or giving to charitable causes on behalf of the community, Voxel51 is committed to bringing transparency and clarity to the world’s data.