Welcome to the monthly blog series where we bring you up to speed on recent happenings in the FiftyOne community and celebrate noteworthy milestones. 🙌 🚀
Happy 5th Birthday, Voxel51!
Voxel51 Inc. was started on October 18, 2018 to enable developers, scientists, and organizations to build high-quality visual AI datasets and computer vision models. Today our company turns five years old!
It’s incredible to look back since our company’s fourth birthday and see all the new milestones we have to celebrate. In this post, we share some of our biggest moments over the past year so you can catch up on interesting news and topics you may have missed, or revisit some of your favorites.
We love hearing how FiftyOne helps you solve challenges and reach new heights! Curious what sorts of use cases are possible with FiftyOne? Here’s a highlight from the open source FiftyOne community.
Vivint, a leading smart home company in the United States, delivers an integrated smart home system with in-home consultation, professional installation, and support delivered by Smart Home Pros, as well as 24/7 customer care and monitoring. Dedicated to redefining the home experience with intelligent products and services, Vivint serves more than 1.9 million customers across the US.
We use FiftyOne Teams to organize, select, display, and share our data which has led to better collaboration with and understanding of our large volume of data. FiftyOne Teams enables us to gain insights such as identifying and understanding data problems early, hypothesis validation, and dataset management overall. This has led to better solution engineering and better testing for the products and services we deliver to our customers.
Lanny LinSr. Director of AI and Data Science
Is your organization using FiftyOne to solve interesting computer vision problems? Share your success story and claim a box of community rewards as a thank you!
In October there were a few point releases to both the open source and Teams versions of FiftyOne. Here are the links to the releases learn more:
Open Source FiftyOne
FiftyOne on GitHub
GitHub is home to the open source FiftyOne project. Here’s the latest snapshot of what’s happening in the FiftyOne GitHub repo:
- Total stars: 5,300+
- Total contributors: 75
- Total used by: 405
- Total forks: 430
- Total issues closed so far: 947
FiftyOne Community Slack
The FiftyOne Community Slack channel is where you can join more than 2,100 machine learning engineers and data scientists using FiftyOne to improve the quality of their computer vision data and build better models. Ask questions, answer questions, or simply follow along with the discussion!
To make it easy to catch the highlights, every Friday we recap interesting questions and answers from Slack in Tips & Tricks blog series. Recent posts include:
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks – Oct 20, 2023
- Video Labels – FiftyOne Tips and Tricks
- Heatmaps – FiftyOne Tips and Trick
- 3D Detections – FiftyOne Tips and Tricks
- Exploring Polylines – FiftyOne Tips and Tricks
Computer Vision Meetups
Voxel51 sponsors 13 virtual Computer Vision Meetups and 12 AI, Machine Learning and Data Science Meetups around the world. (To join, visit the Meetup links and scroll down to find the location friendliest to your time zone.)
The Computer Vision Meetups are geared towards data scientists, machine learning engineers, and open source enthusiasts who want to expand their knowledge of computer vision and complementary technologies. We put an emphasis on open source software, and speakers who are computer vision practitioners or academics doing research in the field. This month’s Meetups include:
Nov 2 Computer Vision Meetup
- Foundation Models for Electronic Health Records (EHRs) – Michael Wornow at Stanford University
- Exploring the Two Headed Classifier Use Case – Argo Saakyan at Veryfi
- Using AI to Test Software, Techniques and Tools – Justin Trugman at softwaretesting.ai
Recapping Previous Meetups
If you missed any of last month’s Meetups, you can get the executive summaries and links to the video playbacks here:
Upcoming Computer Vision Events
In addition to Meetups, we invite you to join us for one or more of these upcoming events:
- Nov 2 – Building Customized CV Applications with FiftyOne Plugins
- Nov 14 – Unstructured Data Meetup SF
- Nov 15 – FiftyOne Plugins Workshop: Authoring Data-Centric AI Applications
- Nov 15: Transforming Computer Vision with LLMs
New Docs, Blogs, Videos, and Tutorials
We want everyone to be successful with FiftyOne, and one of the ways we try to do that is by publishing resources that you might find helpful and handy. Here’s a list of some of the new documentation, blogs, videos, tutorials, integrations, and cheat sheets that you may want to check out.
- Plugin for Building and Managing Plugins!
- Using SAM for the Prediction of Segmentations on the Kaggle Football Player Segmentation Dataset
- Concept Traversal Plugin for FiftyOne
- Happy 5th Birthday, Voxel51!
- Reverse Image Search Plugin for FiftyOne
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks: Video Labels
- Filtering computer vision data with FiftyOne
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks: Heatmaps
- FiftyOne Computer Vision Tips and Tricks: 3D Detections
- What is the FiftyOne computer vision toolset?
Voxel51’s Commitment to Open Source and Community
Open source, transparency, and giving back to the computer vision community is what we are all about! Whether it’s developing the open source FiftyOne computer vision toolset to help engineers and data scientists build high-quality datasets and models, sponsoring Meetups to help members boost their computer vision knowledge, or giving to charitable causes on behalf of the community, Voxel51 is committed to bringing transparency and clarity to the world’s data.